Thursday, September 18, 2008

Michelle Obama: Don't Vote Cute

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Michelle Obama asked voters Thursday to make their choice on the issues, not because, "I like that guy" or, "she's cute."

Might she be talking about Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin?

"I'm talking about me," she said with a smile.

Barack Obama's wife, however, is not on the ticket in the presidential election. Palin is.

Her remarks came at a women's round-table on the economy as Democrats work to neutralize the appeal that Palin has brought to John McCain's ticket for some female voters. They are doing so gingerly, so as to not appear sexist or invite another lipstick-on-a-pig tempest.

..."People shouldn't make a decision this time based on, 'I like that guy' or 'she's cute,'" she said.

The line won a big round of applause. Before it subsided, she interjected: "And I'm talking about me."

She did not talk about Palin directly in her remarks.

The brilliant Michelle Obama isn't making sense.

Did I miss something?

Is it Obama-Biden, or is it Obama-Cute Obama-Biden?

The fact is she didn't mention Sarah Palin because it wasn't necessary to make her point, just as it wasn't necessary when Barack Obama made his "lipstick on a pig" allusion to the Republican vice presidential nominee.

3 comments:

August Danowski said...

Mary -

I think you might find the video at this site interesting:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html

I would be particularly interested to hear your thoughts and comments after viewing it.

Mary said...

I'll try to get to it sometime this weekend.

August Danowski said...

I came across this article this morning:

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2008/918/2

Another discovery of differences between people of different political viewpoints, although I am not sure I buy it because I startle pretty easily (that will make more sense if you read the article).