Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Republican Nominee: John McCain

John McCain's life so far is really a remarkable story, an American story of courage and faith, love of family and country.

The latest chapter: Accepting his party's nomination for president of the United States.

Transcript

Tonight, I have a privilege given few Americans -- the privilege of accepting our party's nomination for President of the United States. And I accept it with gratitude, humility and confidence.

McCain began by acknowledging his Republican opponents in the primaries with words of admiration.

Before he got a few sentences out, the camera cut to a man holding a sign that said "McCain votes against vets."

I don't remember there being any such shots during the Obama-palooza event at Invesco Field while Obama was giving his acceptance speech. I can't believe there were no dissenters in the stadium that night. However, it's easy to believe that they didn't get any camera time.

McCain thanked President Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush. He said he was grateful for the example set by President George H. W. Bush and Mrs. Barbara Bush.

McCain praised his seven children and his wife, Cindy.

The pleasures of family life can seem like a brief holiday from the crowded calendar of our nation's business. But I have treasured them all the more, and can't imagine a life without the happiness you give me. Cindy said a lot of nice things about me tonight. But, in truth, she's more my inspiration than I am hers. Her concern for those less blessed than we are -- victims of land mines, children born in poverty and with birth defects -- shows the measure of her humanity. I know she will make a great First Lady.

It was a heartfelt moment, not political posturing.

He paid tribute to his 96-year-old mother, Roberta.

"I wouldn't be here tonight but for the strength of her character."

Just after McCain was giving a word to Barack Obama and his supporters, a Code Pink protester interrupted his speech. I think it was Code Pink based on the telltale pink banner and high-pitched screams.

McCain quipped: "Please don't be diverted by the ground noise and the static."

He ad-libbed, "Americans want us to stop yelling at each other."

As soon as he began to pick up where he left off, another protester began screaming.

McCain looked a bit ticked off. I can understand that. I was concerned that his entire speech might be peppered with these boorish outbursts. Thankfully, it was not. The disruptions were over.

When McCain mentioned his running mate, Sarah Palin, there were loud cheers.


She knows where she comes from and she knows who she works for. She stands up for what's right, and she doesn't let anyone tell her to sit down. I'm very proud to have introduced our next Vice President to the country. But I can't wait until I introduce her to Washington. And let me offer an advance warning to the old, big spending, do nothing, me first, country second Washington crowd: change is coming.

It was wise to stress that he and Gov. Palin are the reformers. They don't just talk change, they achieve it.

McCain said he doesn't work for a party, "I work for you."

He told some stories of American families, mentioning them by name.

I thought that was an effective way to express that when he says he will fight for us, the people, he means it. The true stories brought a reality to his words. That's lost when a politician like Obama chooses a lofty eloquence over straight talk.

"The party of Lincoln, Roosevelt and Reagan is going to get back to basics."

He talked about the issues -- the economy, taxes, and the Culture of Life.

He detailed differences between his plan for health care and Obama's plan.

McCain gave specifics. He talked about reducing government spending and removing failed programs to allow Americans to keep more of their money.

He talked about creating jobs.

McCain devoted quite a bit of time to talking about education.

"Education is the civil rights issue of this century."

We need to shake up failed school bureaucracies with competition, empower parents with choice, remove barriers to qualified instructors, attract and reward good teachers, and help bad teachers find another line of work.
McCain spoke of his plans regarding energy.
My fellow Americans, when I'm President, we're going to embark on the most ambitious national project in decades. We are going to stop sending $700 billion a year to countries that don't like us very much. We will attack the problem on every front. We will produce more energy at home. We will drill new wells offshore, and we'll drill them now. We will build more nuclear power plants. We will develop clean coal technology. We will increase the use of wind, tide, solar and natural gas. We will encourage the development and use of flex fuel, hybrid and electric automobiles.

After discussing these domestic issues, McCain moved on to foreign policy.

He talked of terrorists, the threat that Iran poses, and the growing threat of Russia and its renewed aggression.

[W]e can't turn a blind eye to aggression and international lawlessness that threatens the peace and stability of the world and the security of the American people.

We face many threats in this dangerous world, but I'm not afraid of them. I'm prepared for them. I know how the military works, what it can do, what it can do better, and what it should not do. I know how the world works. I know the good and the evil in it. I know how to work with leaders who share our dreams of a freer, safer and more prosperous world, and how to stand up to those who don't. I know how to secure the peace.

Again and again, McCain highlighted his experience and his wisdom, his understanding of the world.

In other words, he's no Barack Obama -- short on experience, wisdom, and understanding.

I hate war. It is terrible beyond imagination.

I'm running for President to keep the country I love safe, and prevent other families from risking their loved ones in war as my family has. I will draw on all my experience with the world and its leaders, and all the tools at our disposal -- diplomatic, economic, military and the power of our ideals -- to build the foundations for a stable and enduring peace.

McCain's remarks stand in stark contrast to Obama's "Iraq is a dumb war" inanity.

Regarding the partisanship in Washington, McCain pointed out that he has the ability to work with leaders of both parties.

"I will reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again. I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not."

McCain spoke of unity and an end to partisan rancor.

I've been an imperfect servant of my country for many years. But I have been her servant first, last and always. And I've never lived a day, in good times or bad, that I didn't thank God for the privilege.

McCain calling himself an imperfect servant of his country highlights his selflessness and his life of service in comparison to Obama and the cult of personality that propelled him to the nomination of his party.

McCain talked of his years in Vietnam and his time as a prisoner.

"I was beginning to learn the limits of my selfish independence."

What a great line!

McCain told of how he was in such bad shape, weighing about 100 pounds, that two of his fellow prisoners had to feed him. He credits those men with saving his life.

McCain's story is so compelling that he doesn't need the trappings of a dramatic set with dramatic lighting to elevate him and his words. He doesn't need a stadium and tens of thousands of cheering followers to convey that he's worthy of the trust of the American people.

He spoke movingly, but not melodramatically, of the torture he endured and how his captors left him broken.

I was in solitary confinement when my captors offered to release me. I knew why. If I went home, they would use it as propaganda to demoralize my fellow prisoners. Our Code said we could only go home in the order of our capture, and there were men who had been shot down before me. I thought about it, though. I wasn't in great shape, and I missed everything about America. But I turned it down.

A lot of prisoners had it worse than I did. I'd been mistreated before, but not as badly as others. I always liked to strut a little after I'd been roughed up to show the other guys I was tough enough to take it. But after I turned down their offer, they worked me over harder than they ever had before. For a long time. And they broke me.

When McCain talks of his experience in Vietnam, he has great humility. There are no John Kerry-esque salutes and strained lines about "reporting for duty."

McCain is a hero, but he doesn't seem to think of himself that way. He didn't serve and sacrifice to be a hero.

He is a man of great character. That can't be denied.

McCain talked about how his time as a POW changed him and of the lessons he learned.

I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's. I loved it not just for the many comforts of life here. I loved it for its decency; for its faith in the wisdom, justice and goodness of its people. I loved it because it was not just a place, but an idea, a cause worth fighting for. I was never the same again. I wasn't my own man anymore. I was my country's.

That was an extremely moving line. The selflessness of service was a thread than ran through the entire speech.
I'm not running for president because I think I'm blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save our country in its hour of need. My country saved me. My country saved me, and I cannot forget it. And I will fight for her for as long as I draw breath, so help me God.

I believe him.

It was no accident that McCain said he didn't believe that "history anointed [him] to save our country." That's a direct reference to the goofiness of the Anointed One, Barack Obama.

McCain called on Americans to serve a greater cause than themselves.

If you find faults with our country, make it a better one. If you're disappointed with the mistakes of government, join its ranks and work to correct them. Enlist in our Armed Forces. Become a teacher. Enter the ministry. Run for public office. Feed a hungry child. Teach an illiterate adult to read. Comfort the afflicted. Defend the rights of the oppressed. Our country will be the better, and you will be the happier. Because nothing brings greater happiness in life than to serve a cause greater than yourself.

That's a message that certainly resonates with people of faith.
I'm going to fight for my cause every day as your President. I'm going to fight to make sure every American has every reason to thank God, as I thank Him: that I'm an American, a proud citizen of the greatest country on earth, and with hard work, strong faith and a little courage, great things are always within our reach. Fight with me. Fight with me.

Fight for what's right for our country.

Fight for the ideals and character of a free people.

Fight for our children's future.

Fight for justice and opportunity for all.

Stand up to defend our country from its enemies.

Stand up for each other; for beautiful, blessed, bountiful America.

Stand up, stand up, stand up and fight. Nothing is inevitable here. We're Americans, and we never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history.

McCain delivered a stirring call to Americans to fight for the country we love.

That call wasn't just words off a teleprompter. That's John McCain's life.


After his speech, Cindy McCain joined him on stage. Then Gov. Palin and her husband came on stage.

The children of the McCain and Palin families soon stood with their parents.

As the balloons and confetti showered down on them, "Barracuda" by Heart played. I wonder who chose the music.

John McCain doesn't dazzle with his speaking skills, but he was dazzling. His message is what inspires, not the way he delivers a speech. His character, his life story, and his accomplishments elevate one's hopes for realizing the promise of a just nation and a just world.

He's tough. He's a fighter.

When he says that he's going to fight for us, I have no doubt that he means it.

What an incredible journey John McCain has had -- from a young man with a broken body, just clinging to life, to becoming the Republicans' nominee for president of the United States.

As Sarah Palin said in her speech Wednesday night, "There is only one man in this election who has ever really fought for you in places where winning means survival and defeat means death, and that man is John McCain."

No comments: