Thursday, October 30, 2008

Obama's Infomercial: Presidential Screen Test

Barack Obama's infomercial debunked: "Obama's prime-time ad skips over budget realities"

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was less than upfront in his half-hour commercial Wednesday night about the costs of his programs and the crushing budget pressures he would face in office.

Obama's assertion that "I've offered spending cuts above and beyond" the expense of his promises is accepted only by his partisans. His vow to save money by "eliminating programs that don't work" masks his failure throughout the campaign to specify what those programs are—beyond the withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

Read Obama's spin and the facts.
_____________________

At 7:00 PM, when Barack Obama's infomercial aired in my time zone, I was having dinner.

I felt absolutely no sense of urgency to watch one of the most hyped commercials of the century.

After midnight, I found it on the New York Times website.

Obama's ad was touted by the Times as "big, glossy, and almost unavoidable."

Actually, I found it easily avoidable, though I agree that it was big and glossy, only not in a good way.

Jim Rutenberg writes:

The program gave a new meaning to the word “infomercial” and, for that matter, to all notions of political advertising. Executed with high standards of cinematography, with help from the director of “An Inconvenient Truth,” Davis Guggenheim, the infomercial was part slickly produced reality program; part Lifetime biography; and part wonkish policy lecture with music that could have come from “The West Wing.”

Its imagery was acutely Middle American: suburban lawns, American flags, corn fields and factories. It was packed with swing state and Midwestern governors and senators who spoke in glowing terms of Mr. Obama; a brigadier general, now retired, vouched for his national security credentials.

Watch the video.

This infomercial wasn't directed at me.

I won't be voting for Obama. It didn't alter my opinion whatsoever.

It may have impressed some undecided voters. The commercial may have convinced them to buy what Obama is selling.

Obviously, as a viewer, I brought my biases with me and I wouldn't be sold on the product.

That said, the infomercial seemed like a parody to me -- the images, the music, the testimonials. It played almost like a political version of Spinal Tap.

It was such a dramatically scripted, choreographed, and scored production. It was so overproduced, so Hollywood, so fake.

The only time I felt Obama really connected was when he talked about the death of his mom.

OBAMA: When my mom passed away, it was one of the toughest moments of my life... Anybody who's gone through that kind of process knows how difficult it is and heartbreaking it is to see somebody you love go on that path. And it's a lonely path. It was a reminder to me that, boy, life sure is short and you better, you better seize the moment.

That seemed real to me. I know it was part of Obama's health care discussion and could be seen as exploitation, but that brief snip came across as sincere and apolitical.

I think it was a mistake for the ad to end by cutting to Obama at a rally in Florida, live. It highlighted how unreal and packaged the previous 27 minutes of the presentation had been.

Of course, none of this begins to address the substance of Obama's plans and positions on the issues, but that really wasn't the purpose of the infomercial anyway.

It was a screen test, a West Wing audition, and in that sense, very superficial. Fluff.

It wasn't about educating the audience on policies. It was about getting people to envision Obama as the president.

Is he right for the role?

I hope Americans aren't content to choose a president on such shallow grounds.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

30 minutes is too long for me. I watched for a few minutes, then switched. I have the attention span of a gnat. I wonder how much the next presidential campaign will cost. With Obama setting up such high records the only thing we know is that this nation goes to the highest bidder. The presidency and the nation is for sale. HAIL OBAMA...you have served us so well, the fathers of the constitution are rolling around in their graves.

Anonymous said...

Here are some more shallower grounds.

Do you realise how popular Barack Obama is today? Almost as big as The Phillies!

Anonymous said...

In light of the Obama infomercial that proves that he actually lives in fairy tale land, I submit Mr. Thomas Sowell's sobering analysis of the reality of an Obama presidency:

http://townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/10/30/a_perfect_storm?page=full&comments=true

The world will be a very dangerous place with Obama in charge. He has no historical perspective of the world; he only has his utopian view of how he will shape the world, a view that is impossible, a view that poses peril and danger. His arrogance in combination with his ignorance and inexperience will result in untold tragedies. Our enemies are licking their lips. With the election of Obma they see an opening to conquer America.

Anonymous said...

It was well done, I thought. But it wasn't aimed at me either, because I'm not Middle America and I'm already an Obama voter.

If you want to talk about shallow, over-produced and fake take a look at McCain and his wife. Forgot about what they even say, just look at the cosmetic surgery there! And look how they have tried to dressup Palin to make her appear all executive and modern. But the real Sarah still shows through. As one commentator wrote she's "a religious fanatic and a proud, boastful ignoramous". She's not all bad I'm sure, but these are NOT qualities we want in a VP.

One more thing...... I am registered as an Independent. in the past few weeks I have received a half dozen calls from Obama volunteers reminding me to vote on Nov 4. That doesn't cost much. Where are the McCain volunteers. You'd think they would be calling on voters here in PA. maybe they are short-staffed!:)

Anonymous said...

Interesting: The latest polls show that McCain is picking up in Florida and Ohio, but still way behind in Pennsylvania and behind in all three states.

However, when you look at WHITE votes WITHOUT a college education, McCain is leading.

Anonymous said...

The infocmercial was well done, well designed and did its job. It clealry is going to win votes for Obama on the undecideds, becuase it hit home on the issues. It hit the economy hard, its the economy stupid and McCains own people are starting to say his plan is crazy. But still go for it. It is stupid.

Meanwhile McCain is all about Joe the Plumber, the guy is answering policy questions on behalf of McCain yet he is an idiot, he does not know what is going on. Joe walked up to him and asked a question, not Obama to him, you can see that clearly on the video. Then he lied. I don't like the attacks on him until he went out and started doing interviews, trying to get a record contract and hired his own publicist. Now he is free to be attacked and deserves it.

Anonymous said...

"I have the attention span of a gnat" McCain-Plain hope the country is stupid and Obama-Biden hope it is smart. That's how they've been running their campigns.

Mary said...

Comment 25: Sarah P. --

"Okay, I want to clear my conscience a little. Hopefully you could make a blog post to help some fellow Clinton supporters out. I worked for the campaign--" Obama, "--and I can't wait for this week to be over... The internal campaign idea, Obama campaign, is to twist, distort, humiliate, and finally dispirit you. We pay people and organize people to go on all the online sites and play the part of a Clinton or McCain supporter who just switched our support for Obama. We do this to stifle your motivation, to destroy your confidence...

"This surprisingly has had a huge suppressing movement in vote turnout issues. Next, we infiltrate all the blogs, and all the YouTube videos, and we overwhelm the voting, the comments, all to continue the appearance of overwhelming world support for Obama.

"There's a huge staff of people working around the clock watching every site, every blog, we flood these sites, we have had a goal to overwhelm. The truth is here. I could go on and on, but you got the picture.

"My vote will be for John McCain."