Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Papal Conclave

Soon, we will have a new pope.

From CNN:

The work to elect a successor to retired Pope Benedict XVI begins in earnest Tuesday, when the cardinals charged with the task gather in Vatican City for the papal conclave.

Just a few hours after moving into Santa Marta, their residence at the Vatican for the duration of the process, the cardinals will start the day with a morning Mass at St. Peter's Basilica.

The service -- open to the public -- will be the last public event featuring the 115 cardinals who will choose the new spiritual leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.

Cardinals taking part in the process will then walk to the Sistine Chapel, chanting prayers as they go, to begin the secret election called the conclave.

After that, the only clue the world will have of what is happening inside will be periodic puffs of smoke from a copper chimney installed over the weekend in the Sistine Chapel.

Black smoke, no pope. White smoke, success.
Cardinal Dolan invites us to join him in a novena to Saint Joseph.
In my blog post this past Wednesday, I invited you to join me in a novena of prayer to Saint Joseph, asking him and his virgin-wife to look after the whole Church and get us an inspired successor to Saint Peter. I thought I should probably provide you with the wording of the novena prayer to Saint Joseph, and I renew my invitation to you to offer it beginning March 11, and concluding on the Feast of Saint Joseph, March 19. (Where the prayer indicates that you should mention your request, please feel free to phrase it in your own words!)

Novena prayer to Saint Joseph

Saint Joseph, you are the faithful protector and intercessor of all who love and venerate you. I have special confidence in you. You are powerful with God and will never abandon your faithful servants. I humbly invoke you and commend myself, with all who are dear to me, to your intercession. By the love you have for Jesus and Mary, do not abandon me during life, and assist me at the hour of my death.

Glorious Saint Joseph, spouse of the immaculate Virgin, Foster-father of Jesus Christ, obtain for me a pure, humble, and charitable mind, and perfect resignation to the Divine Will. Be my guide, my father, and my model through life that I may merit to die as you did in the arms of Jesus and Mary.

Loving Saint Joseph, faithful follower of Jesus Christ, I raise my heart to you to implore your powerful intercession in obtaining from the Heart of Jesus all the graces necessary for my spiritual and temporal welfare, particularly the grace of a happy death, and the special grace I now implore: (Mention your request). Guardian of the Word Incarnate, I am confident that your prayers on my behalf will be graciously heard before the throne of God.

No comments: