Tuesday, October 8, 2013

NFL Pink

I hate the pink tsunami in the month of October.

Everywhere, it's pink.

I find what the NFL does so nauseating that I refuse to watch. You couldn't pay me to watch the players and coaches and stadiums draped in that stupid pink. I even avoid highlights on local news.

Because I kept up with the Packers Sunday via Wayne and Larry, I didn't find out about the pink penalty flags until Monday. If they mentioned the flags, and they probably did, I missed it.

From AP:

Pink is no longer the new yellow in the NFL.

The league won't use its pink penalty flags beyond Monday night's Jets-Falcons game.

The pink flags were part of the NFL's "A Crucial Catch" campaign in support of breast cancer awareness. Coupled with the players' pink equipment, especially their gloves and towels, the pink flags caused confusion among broadcasters, fans, players and coaches Sunday.

The league hadn't specified whether the pink penalty flags would be used through Week 7 like the rest of the breast cancer initiative, "but the experience this weekend solidified that it would be for one week only," NFL spokesman Michael Signora said.

Other elements of the campaign will remain, including pink wristbands and cleats, coins, sideline caps, goal-post padding, kicking tees, skull caps, shoe laces and cheerleaders' pompons until Oct. 21.
PINK penalty flags?????

Unbelievable!!!

Awareness?

Give me a break!

I hate being bombarded with all that pink crap. It's insulting. It's cheap. It's exploitative. It's utterly pointless. It's offensive.

If that pink ribbon is slapped on a product label in the grocery store, I won't buy it.

I hate it. I HATE it. I HATE IT.

Even though I won't look at the NFL pink circus or take part in it in any way, it still bugs me. For October, I take my leave from all NFL images.

Regarding the Washington Redskins, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell talked about sensitivity.

“Well as you guys know, I grew up in Washington, so the Colts were my team early on and then I became a Redskins fan,” Goodell told Lavar and Dukes. “I know the team name is part of their history and tradition, and that’s something that’s important to the Redskins fans.”

“I think what we have to do though is we have to listen,” Goodell said. “If one person is offended, we have to listen.”
Hey, Goodell! Listen to this: I'm offended.

Stop wrecking the game in October!

Take all the money spent on the ****ing pink garb and write out a damn check instead. Help people rather than engage in this idiotic showboating for the cause.