Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Laurie Birmingham

Twenty years ago, I saw a play that has stayed with me to this day.

It was a Milwaukee Rep production of Eugene O'Neill's A Moon for the Misbegotten.

I enjoyed actress Laurie Birmingham in many Rep productions over the years. She brought so much laughter. But her performance in that play, a dramatic role, is the one that immediately comes to mind when I think of her.

Quite simply, it was unforgettable.

Laurie Birmingham passed away yesterday.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Actress Laurie Birmingham could have sung "I've Been Everywhere" from a knowing point of view: She performed in Utah, Boise, Cleveland, New York, Alabama, Seattle and Atlanta, to name a few places.

But the California native considered Milwaukee her true personal and artistic home. Gravely ill with the cancer that would kill her, Birmingham organized her medical treatment around her performance in the Milwaukee Repertory Theater's production of "Harvey" last December.

Birmingham died in Milwaukee Monday at age 57.
I will never forget Laurie Birmingham as Josie, and sitting in that theater with tears streaming down my cheeks.

She was beautiful.




No comments: