Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Vote for Huckabee

The Democrats will be having a two-person race on Super Tuesday.

The Republicans should be in that same position, but Mike Huckabee isn't cooperating.

Klaus Marre writes:

Romney: ‘In a two-person race, I like my chances’

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said Wednesday that he looks forward to a head-to-head battle for the Republican presidential nomination with Sen. John McCain (Ariz.).

...“We’re finally getting where we wanted to be, and that is to have a two-person race,” Romney said on Fox News, adding, “In a two-person race, I like my chances.”

Romney acknowledged that the continued presence of Mike Huckabee in the race is a problem for him and made the point that the former Arkansas governor is no longer a contender.

“I don’t know what kind of support Mike Huckabee will get going forward,” Romney said. “I think conservatives recognize that a vote for Mike Huckabee right now really means a vote for John McCain. So that may have them re-think that.”

Romney is right.

Now that Rudy Giuliani is calling it quits, his supporters will likely go to McCain or to one of the Dems.

If Huckabee would bow out, he certainly would free up votes for Romney.

That won't happen. Huckabee is determined to play the spoiler.

Here's an e-mail from Huckabee
(Wed, 30 Jan 2008 00:22:46):
Our focus turns now to Super Tuesday. Recent polling shows us in first or tied for first place in Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, Tennessee and Oklahoma. Voters in these states will have a chance to reclaim the nominating process for conservatives by casting their votes in support of our campaign. And in the states where poll after poll has shown us in second or third, please spread the word that we are still standing and we have what it takes to win.

Because if I am a Republican voter in a state casting votes next week on Super Tuesday, I am asking two fundamental questions:

Which candidate best reflects my views on the issues?

And does that candidate have what it takes to defeat the Democrat nominee in the fall?


If I am a voter in Tennessee and I care about education, I want a President that has executive experience reforming a state's education system and has a substantive plan to reform education at the national level.

If I am a voter in Georgia and I care deeply about the issues of abortion and marriage, I want a President that will fight tirelessly for life and the family at the federal level, someone with a real record of achievement on these issues not just a politician paying election year lip service on those issues.

If I am a voter in Missouri and I am worried about the economy, I want a President that understands what its like to walk in my shoes and has a plan to stimulate the economy and real world, governing experience to strengthen and help grow our economy.

If I am a voter in California and I am concerned about national security, especially border security, I want a President that has a plan to secure our borders, end amnesty and end the practice of sanctuary cities.

If I am a voter in Alabama and I care passionately about the second amendment, I want a President that understands the 2nd amendment is primarily about tyranny and the right to self-defense not hunting.

If the Republican nominee cannot relate to Republican voters on these important and fundamental issues, we will not defeat the Democrats in the fall.

If the Republican nominee appears out of touch with regular voters or has cast votes that were an anathema to his Party, that candidate will fail to unite the Republican Party against the Democrat nominee, no matter who that nominee is.

I have what it takes, our campaign is still standing and drawing new support everyday and I am prepared to lead America forward. Spread the word. I am fighting for you and will continue to do so every step of the way.

With deep gratitude,


There are two possible explanations for Huckabee's decision to press on to Super Tuesday:
1. Huckabee is clinically delusional.

2. Huckabee is staying in the race solely to secure the nomination for McCain.

There are signs that the first is valid. The second is definitely the case.

2 comments:

Mark said...

McCain is in first place because Conservative voters have abandoned their Conservative principles in favor of candidates they believed were more electable.

So those voters have no one but themselves to blame if the next President is a democrat.

Mary said...

I think McCain is the front-runner because he's being dishonest about his record and himself.

I don't think it's a matter of CONSERVATIVES abandoning conservative principles. It's more due to a sizable number of REPUBLICANS buying what McCain's selling. I don't think they know McCain.