Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ron Howard, Andy Griffith, Henry Winkler, and Barack Obama

See more Ron Howard videos at Funny or Die


What the hell?

When I think of The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days, I don't think of politics.

Those old reruns are a throwback to a simpler time. They're an escape. They provide refuge from the nightmarish 24-hour news cycle.

So Ron Howard, Andy Griffith, and Henry Winkler decided to trash that legacy and exploit their characters to campaign for Barack Obama.

What bugs me is not that the three men came out in support of Obama, although I do have a problem with the fact that their message was negative. They went on the attack. It was anti-Bush and anti-McCain and anti-Palin.

What's really bad is that the actors took on their roles of the beloved Opie, Andy, Richie, and Fonzie to do the campaigning.

They soiled those apolitical characters with political BS. It's the whoring of the characters that bothers me.

God rest the soul of Don Knotts, but I'm glad the dear Barney Fife wasn't around to take part in that Obama commercial.

Again, I have absolutely no problem with Howard, Griffith, and Winkler campaigning for Obama.

I do have a problem with Opie Taylor, Andy Taylor, Richie Cunningham, and the Fonz campaigning for Obama.

Is nothing sacred?

_______________

Someone should hang an Obama-Biden sign around the neck of the Bronze Fonz.

2 comments:

jimspice said...

Don't fret. Potsie and Barney are stumping for McCain.

spice

Christina Dunigan said...

Well, that was gross, for starters. "I let you watch them trim my nose hairs, and that gives me credibility!"

I had respected these guys up until now. I had at least thought Henry Winkler had some sense.

Now it turns out that they're just as addle-pated as the rest of Hollywood.

Three more idiots voting for more dead babies.